38,564 words and twelve new quilts!

ImprovHandbook_quiltsWhoopee! Yep that’s how many words I wrote for The Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters. Wow was that a lot of work. I turned in the final manuscript with the help of the my amazing copy editor, Christine Doyle last week! Christine is also a quilt maker and member of the Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild. She really got that my goal was to write a book on improvisational process with project guidelines that didn’t rely on step-by-step instructions or fixed patterns. She calls it Improv 2.0.

SaraRemington_ImprovHandbook

Also delivered last week were hundreds of images taken by the super talented photographer Sara Remington with her assistant Nicole Rejwan. I loved working with Sara and her whole team. They are pros and a lot of fun. During our last 9 hr photo shoot, while Sara was shooting images of my hand sewing tools and supplies –thimble, needles, scissors, yarn, thread, and batting, I felt humbled and so incredibly grateful that my creative live was being documented and soon to be shared in such a beautiful and intimate way. I can’t wait for you to see the pictures! I have no doubt that this book will have the most beautiful technique photos you’ve ever laid eyes on -let alone the real beauty shots! How many times did I say the word BEAUTIFUL in this paragraph?

Studio_wall_ImprovHandbook

Working with Melanie Falick, the managing editor, and her staff at STC Craft can only be described as a joy. They have taken such good care of me throughout this process. They’ve supported my vision 100%. I’ve now passed the torch on and the book designers are taking the lead. They are shaping the raw material of words and images into a book. I can’t wait to see what they put together. Apparently there will be four passes or design reviews and then it’s off to the printer. Our goal is to launch The Improv Handbook at QuiltCon in February 2015, where I will be giving a lecture (Thursday, Feb. 19 at 2PM) and teaching three workshops (Fri. Sat. Sun. 9AM-5PM) based on projects and techniques featured in the book.

Lukaza_Branfman-Verissimo_ImprovHandbook-

This week I’ve been tying up loose ends. I couldn’t have handled all the details without the help of my smart, sweet and talented intern Lukaza Branfman-Verissmo. She’s an undergrad at the California College of Art and definitely a young up and coming artist to watch. Lukaza helped me with the test/contributor quilting aspect of the book project, by communicating with over 230 fellow quilters directly, and by setting up the online forum and submissions process for the test quilts. Lukaza has finished her work with me and is off on a scholarship trip in July to connect with print making communities in Japan.

ImprovHandbook_HeadlandsCenterArts

Okay well I did it! I’m just happy that I did it! I’m amazed that I did it! I did it with the help of so many, including so many of you. Writing this book challenged me to grow a hundred fold in all directions. I’ve become a better collaborator. I’ve gained in my ability to let go of control and let others help me shape and complete my vision. I practiced what I preached as I wrote and I’m a better improvisor and quilt maker because of it. Even though I’m about as exhausted as I’ve ever been, my mind is full of possibilities for new work and next steps. I can hardly wait!

sherriwaving

It’s as if I’ve been on a boat for the last year and a half and I’ve just been dropped off on a new shore in my life. Everything is YES!

PS> I’m moving on Facebook – Move with me.

Join the new Improv Handbook For Modern Quilters Facebook GROUP, and let’s talk improv and patchwork. If you are a fan of my Daintytime facebook page please switch over and join the Daintytime Improv Handbook Group. When you join be sure to click on     “Notifications” in the top right corner under the cover photo and choose “All Posts”and you will be notified of posts by all the members.

FB has cut organic reach for Pages which means you will not be getting Daintytime FB posts in your story feed anymore unless I pay $5 every time I post. So I’ve started a FB Group and will eventually close my FB Page. Actually it’s better this way. Groups allow for more direct exchange between members. I will be moving all events associated with the Improv Handbook and my teaching/lecturing schedule to the Daintytime Improv Handbook FB Group. Membership is open to everyone! Let’s talk improv and patchwork!

BTW:  Also join me on Instagram: @daintytime and Twitter: @daintytime

This entry was posted in Art and Social Practice, Community, My Creative Process, Personal Heritage and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to 38,564 words and twelve new quilts!

1. Lorij says:

Would like to be notified of new posts. Thanks

2. L. Jones-Hodge says:

Congratulations on your book. I’m sure it will be very inspiring.
    Lorij

3. I’m so excited to see this book in person! And I loved this behind-the-scenes glimpse. Thank you so much for sharing it! I hope you’re taking a little “you-time” now as a reward for all that hard work. You deserve it!

Thanks Diane. Wow that was a lot of work. I’m so happy to be done. I hardly know what to do with myself. Of course there are still a lot of loose threads to be dealt before the book goes to print. I’m impressed at how many books you have under your belt or in progress. Where do you get the stamina?!

4. michele says:

Thank you for writing this book. It’s such a fantastic way to share your art and insights with the world. I’m awed by your dedication.

Whewww! Congrats! I can’t wait either!

Congratulations on finishing the book. I will miss out on the group discussions because I don’t do FB.

7. Susannah says:

Am so excited for you! Thank you for including me in a slice of this wonderful experience. I think you are a legacy quilter like Anna Williams or Nancy Crow. You are a true original. I admire the beauty but also the intellect behind your work. Can’t wait to see the finished book and hope it is the first of many from you!

8. Tonya Ricucci says:

yay! this book is going to be fabulous!

9. Wow Sherri Lynn, that is amazing! I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to your book. Thanks for letting me be part of the process. Can’t wait to learn more form you!

10. Kristy says:

Congratulations on getting to this stage of the book development and good luck with the next stages.

I have finished quilting and binding the quilt from the score I had – I there a way to update the image on the forum so when displayed it is the finished quilt?

11. shannon says:

wow wow and wow!!! congratulations!!! so so happy for you. posted on facebook and thank you for accepting me to new facebook group!!! (i’m happy tomodachi) what an amazing accomplishment. i have been relishing every sneak peak you provide and i have no doubt that this will be an amaaaaazing book that i can’t wait to add to my library. i am still working on the quilt that i submitted earlier on this year. since there is not “deadline,” i am taking my time and hand quilting it…teaching myself to handquilt as i go along…and i l-o-v-e it!!! i am kinda just creating my own technique and found someone who is amazing who is a master of a technique that i think i was naturally trying to do with my hands so i purchased her needles and thimble (thimble lady) and i’m so glad i found her and it has been wonderful every since. i was wondering if i could eventually replace the pic i originally submitted with the finished quilt?

anyway…i am so stoked for you! :) i can’t wait to see your quilts and the interpretations of others’ quilts!!! i also can’t wait to try out the other scores! :) i’m throwing it out to the universe that i will be able to join you in person at one of your workshops! :)

congratulations again!!!!!!! big hugs to you!!!

12. Susan says:

Wow, congrats…Susan from Cape Town. looking forward to your book x

13. LeeAnn says:

Yea! Congratulations!!! Looking forward to seeing the book next year. I’m sure it will be one of those books that quilt-makers look to for years to come.

14. Jenny Hurth says:

Sherri, this is fantastic, congratulations!

Thanks Jenny. I want to have you and Eli over for tea to preview all the quilts when I get back from my trip to the East Coast in mid-June. I brought one of the quilts by for him to see and he just loved it and it tickled me to death to hear him go on about it. So sweet.

15. Susan K says:

This is so exciting! I can’t wait to see the book. I know you’ve put your heart into it.

Thanks Susan. Yes it was an endeavor of the heart. It really feels good to get all my knowledge out there for other people to access, and hopefully take it to the next level.

16. Tubularsock says:

This is so exciting and amazing. What an accomplishment. Congratulations ten-fold!

Now can we drink?
    Ok, I know you’re on tea but wine is better!

17. John Wiercioch says:

Sherri,
    This was a very ambitious endeavor and is such a huge achievement to have met your goals! Your well-earned glow of pride and joy radiates through this post! So very happy for you!

18. Byrd says:

I have really loved watching this whole process. Good luck to you! Take care, Byrd

19. I’m so happy to hear you are finished. I so enjoyed being a small part of this journey….I can’t wait until your book comes out.