I Ching Modern Quilt

I Ching Modern Quilt, 2013, 59″ x 71″, linen, hand-stitched

The random pattern of this all linen quilt was created by chance through the process of throwing three coins six times as prescribed by the I Ching. For each six bar block I consulted the ancient oracle for guidance on questions pertaining to my creative life. The 20 blocks that make up this quilt reflect 20 questions, each of which I documented along with my interpretation of the oracle’s response in a journal.

This snapshot of randomness is tranquil and restorative. It ignites a completely different rhythm of attention in making and in viewing than my improvisational work – which is all about personal choice. This quilt is greater than me. It is a universal pattern that I merely channeled and received. I love it for this reason.

To find out more about the process or to make your own check out the I Ching Modern Quilt-along tutorials.

I echo-quilted the concentric womb/eye pattern by hand. I repeated the shape three times, once for each of the three coins that were thrown into the ocean of synchronicity as a method for receiving the oracle’s resonating response to my questions.

I enjoyed making this quilt. If you’ve been following the I Ching Modern Quilt-along you may remember the last post on QUILTING was back in January. I appreciate your patience, considering I started the quilt-along over a year ago!

It has definitely been a slow but also a rewarding journey. My plan is to make more of these — each with a different color palette and a different theme of questions.

It’s available for sale on Etsy!

This entry was posted in 2013 Quilts, My Creative Process, Quilt Alongs and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to I Ching Modern Quilt

1. Chandra Wu says:

I love how you wound up quilting this. I would love to make an I Ching thrown/inspired quilt someday!

2. Susan K says:

I like that the white looks like it’s woven into the colors. Reminding us that our lives are woven together of many pieces and parts to make one whole.
    The quilt and the quilting turned out beautifully.

3. Lynda M O says:

Incredible, Sherri, I just love the way it turned out. You have created a masterpiece here.

4. christina says:

So great to see, Sherri! I remember when you were starting it & you had to let go into your own rules when all you were getting was the same dark colors & that long section of unbroken stripes…& now that section is so beautifully in tension with all the hot colors on the upper left. The echoing quilting is pure genius: it almost feels like sound to me, the ripples on water after the stone drops in beneath the surface of the rectangles & squares. Really looking forward to the improv book! Congrats on all fronts.

5. Stephanie says:

I have watched with fascination as you’ve made this quilt; such a wonderful process. It holds a place of honor on my “someday” list. Your eye/womb quilting is absolutely perfect, and complements the rectangular shapes so beautifully, bringing depth and movement to the whole.

It turned out beautifully. I especially like the quilting pattern you chose to finish it with, it integrates so well with the process of tossing the coins that began the design.

7. Reanna says:

This is so so so beautiful. Nice to see the back – I love that strip of purple and how it interacts with the quilting.

8. john wiercioch says:

Another extraordinary work! I can envision wrapping up in it in just a few short months! Love the very fine details Sherri.

9. julierose says:

Oh your I CHING came out so lovely–Mine has been languishing–I am planning on a Winter Sewing Revival…I have my castings in a notebook and will attempt to translate them into fabric on those cold and snowly days…hugs, Julierose