Sneak Preview – I’m writing my first book!

Doodle Quilt previewMy big summer news: I’m writing and creating ten new quilts for my first book about improvisational process and patchwork for the modern quilter!

I will announce the publisher and more details about the book, once the contract is signed (which should be soon), but the project has been in the works since I officially accepted an offer to publish in late April.

Since then I’ve been preparing myself internally and externally for a time of major creative output. I’ve been working almost every free day in my studio. I have nine months to create the quilts, write the book, and take the process shots –thank goodness the publisher is hiring a professional photographer for the “beauty shots.”

I’ve completed the first quilt top and am well on my way to completing the second. So even though I haven’t been blogging as much as usual, I have been working harder than ever.

photo

Since I can’t share to much of the content of the book on my blog, I’ve decided to keep you posted on the process of writing it –the backstory, so to speak.

So far…

• I’m thrilled and thankful for the opportunity to be fully absorbed in my creative work.
  • I’ve been following the process that I will be asking the readers of my book to engage in. It’s working. I’m teaching myself new things! So that’s good. If I’m learning something from the process I’m presenting then I know it will be fresh for you.
  • I’m totally in love with, and surprised by the first two quilts.
  • so good!
  • to go…

I’m glad to have my secret out, and will reveal more details as they fall into place. Please help me spread the word. Join me on Facebook. Twitter. Instagram.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Sneak Preview – I’m writing my first book!

1. Lynda M O says:

Major kudos, Sherri, this is the best news so far this summer !~! As an improv maker myself I can truly appreciate those aspects of the book that others who are more inclined to follow a pattern will be thrilled by. I love your work and will be asking you to sign my copy, if you would be so kind !~! Congrats, so proud of you as your growth brings you new spheres in which to work.

(this pic is the fringe on my very first loom weaving project I did this summer)

I am really thrilled for you and am VERY much looking forward to the book.

How wonderful that you will be published! Ten quilts in nine months! Wow, that is a lot of work! I can’t even imagine how much work it would be to write a book. I am in the process of putting together a dyeing class for my modern quilt guild and I find that overwhelming so I can’t imagine what you are going thru. I just keep telling myself do one thing at a time and go on to the next. Best wishes!

4. What exciting news! My best wishes to you on this journey! I look forward to sharing that journey once the book is out. I love the way you work and can’t wait to learn more about it!

5. Gwen says:

Delighted, Sherri. I’m pleased your happy news has been revealed! Let the book go forward with grace and speed. Love — G

6. debby says:

So excited. I love what I’ve read about your creative process here. A whole book will be wonderful.

7. Susan K says:

Wonderful news! I will be looking forward to it. It will definitely join my quilt library!

8. john wiercioch says:

This is so fabulous! What a perfect fit of a really extraordinary artist and compassionate teacher who is also always growing and willing to “walk the walk!” Well Sherri, this explains much about your “tight time schedule” and to me is WAY better than my guess about your “secret”! I am elated for you! Everything about this–even the vital importance of creative improv in our culture in this time, is just right! Wonderful, just wonderful!

Thanks John, Yes I like writing a book more than starting a teaching job somewhere. My greatest hope for the book is that it will lead to lots of opportunities to teach communities of quilters and art students.

9. Byrd says:

Fantastic – so exciting! Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride! Take care, Byrd

10. Marianne says:

Congrats…I’m looking forward to it. Improv is my favorite way to work.

11. Louisa LeMauviel says:

Congratulations! I second what Jodi said :)

12. Melinda Ehly says:

Ohhhh how exciting for you. I am looking forward to getting a copy. I have never done improvisational quilting before. I admire your work and wish I was as talented. I am super excited for you.

13. Jodi says:

What a wonderful opportunity! This thrills me so much as I have been hoping you would publish a book. It’s not just your quilts that are inspiring, but your nature, insight, and creativity. Cannot wait to hold a copy in my hot little hands!

Thanks Jodi, Mandy, Patti, Melinda, Louisa, Marianne, Debby, and everyone else. I really like hearing that people are interested in having a book like this. I hope it will be a comprehensive guide for improvisational patchwork. The goal is not to teach people how to make quilts like mine but to provide them with the mind-tools, sewing-techniques, methods and concepts for improvising authentically –their own way.

14. LeeAnn says:

Congratulations!! Sounds like a fun year.

15. Congratulations on your news, this is so very exciting! I can’t wait to learn from you! I’m excited for myself, as well, since I’ll be signing up for it as soon as it goes on pre-sale.

16. Patti says:

Yay you and I can’t wait. I love modern and especially improv.

17. Brenda says:

congratulations and best wishes for the creative journey.

18. Erin Wilson says: