QuiltCon ~ Day 1: Modern Block Improv

I can’t tell you what a fantastic day it’s been. It’s almost midnight and I’m finally back to my beautiful hotel room, after an incredibly full and satisfying day. I really love being a part of a community. It’s amazing to meet people from all over the country that I’ve met through blogging, and Austin is fantastic.

Let’s start with my class. It was awesome. The students did fantastic work. Someone asked me if I learn a lot from my students. My answer is yes but not in the way people might expect. The most valuable thing I learn from students, is how they meet and overcome the internal challenges arising from the improvisational process.

I am always impressed at how much people understand that this process goes deeper than the bright colors and pretty patterns of the materials they are working with. I also enjoy sharing my knowledge. It is very satisfying.

Lots of beautiful quilts in the show. I will post lots of photos of the show quilts that inspire me when I get back to Oakland. My Log Cabin Modern Improv took the prize in the large Hand Quilting category! That’s $500 bucks!!! I was so pleased. Not many people hand quilt these days, and it is such a pleasure to be recognized for such a fundamental and basic skill.

1st place Hand Quilting - Large Quilt - QuiltCon 2013 - Sherri Lynn Wood

There is so much more to say. After hours have been filled with questions about what is modern quilting? Is it becoming codified? Does this exclude people and in what ways? As quilting and the realm of “women’s work” is becoming an “industry” –because there IS money to be made– how do we as makers, teachers, writers and business owners walk the line between honoring the tradition of sharing and support within the community but also recognize that ideas and individual contributions are monetarily valuable and have to be respected.

So many interesting conversations! I’ve been giving and receiving lots of cards from people and when I get back to Oakland I hope to feature a little something from every person who has shared their info with me.

Okay my head is spinning. Off to bed!

This entry was posted in Blogging, Community, The Modern Quilt and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to QuiltCon ~ Day 1: Modern Block Improv

1. Deborah says:

I had such a great time meeting you in person at last, and congratulations again on your win! Well deserved. If you’re as pooped as I am after this past week, I hope you arrived home safely and got lots of rest! Hoping to see you again soon–and looking forward to whatever’s next for you. :)

Congratulations! I’ve enjoyed watching that quilt emerge on your blog. Good questions to ponder too. The codification and exclusion (or inclusion) are particularly interesting to me as I try to find my place in the fiber art world (no worries Modern Quilters, I won’t try to define myself as such, but I’m hardly traditional either).

3. Shelly says:

Congratulations! And again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Relationships and community are important for thriving. Look forward to meeting you someday.

4. Chris says:

Congratulations! I’m a big fan of your modern improv log cabin quilt – wish I was there -

5. Susannah says:

Sigh… I wish I were there taking your class. The quilt is amazing and you earned a well deserved win!

6. I can see lots of interesting discussions are brewing. Can’t wait to hear more!. And congratulations on your prize! Well done.

7. the class looks fabulous. woohoo on the hand quilting win!

8. Cleta says:

Congrats Sherri, I so wish I could have been a student in your class this year.Blessings, Cleta

9. Congratulations! I can feel your excitement and energy through your writing-what fun! Lucky students to experience your creativity first hand.

Congratulations on your win! I kick myself everyday because I did not go to QuiltCon!

11. Marit says:

Congratulations!!! Would love to be in your class. Thanks for sharing some of the fun with us,

; )

12. Gillian says:

Congratulations on your win. The class looks amazing (and big).

13. Gillian says:

Congratulations on your win. The class looks amazing.

14. I love seeing what your class is doing. Great work as you said. That is a big class compared to our little group in Penland…wish I were there.
    Congratulations on your prize….

15. Victor says:

Great post as usual, Sherri. & congrats on winning the hand quilting prize. The judges have good taste.