RGB Modern, 2012

RGB Modern, 2012, 72″ x 57″  –hand dyed and commercial solids, hand and machine pieced, hand quilted.

I considered the space between warp and weft when piecing these curves with bias cut strips. RGB Modern explores the additive color space of the screen. Improvisational process.

I began this quilt while I was teaching at Penland School of Craft in July 2011. It took quite a while to percolate. I completed it in August 2012, over a year later.

The seed of my composition came from this sketched pattern of the concentric rings within an onion.  I used a bias strip curve piecing technique to sew the curved strips. The thing that kicked the composition to completion was a bit of scrap patchwork play that evolved into the diamond background. I was inspired, by many of you who were blogging about your scrapping process, to dig out my bag of hand-dyed scraps. Check out the composition process animation for RGB Modern.

It’s for sale! Contact me.

This quilt will also be showing at QuiltCon. Look for it there or if your local to the San Francisco Bay Area come and see it during my talk at Stitch Modern tomorrow night.

This entry was posted in 2012 Quilts, Modern Improv, My Creative Process and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to RGB Modern, 2012

1. Pingback: QuiltCon in a nut shell – Bryan House Quilts

2. Pingback: Prendre des chemins inconnus | La Ruche des Quilteuses

3. blandina says:

This is a stunning piece of art, I like both the colours and the pattern.

The quilt turned out wonderful! Your piecing shows beautiful workmanship! I know the curved piecing can be challanging and you had wonderful results! I can’t wait to see what you do next to top this!

5. cauchy09 says:

whoa! so groovy. i love all the shapes and colors. it seems very ‘female’ to me in a way. don’t know what i mean by that….just a reaction.

Oh yes it’s very female – maybe because of all the pink petal vagina shapes? It’s very dainty wouldn’t you say? Maybe I shouldn’t say this in public but now that I think about it I started it after having the best one night stand ever – with a fusion rock shredder guitarist! He was fantastic with his hands. I was naively bamboozled at the time. I didn’t think it was going to be a one off, but at least I was inspired.

6. Stacey says:

I can’t wait to see it in person tomorrow night!

7. Julierose says:

A truly beautiful piece of work! I especially like those softer colors in the concentric rings–I can see how the sliced onions brought this to fruition…I love your stuff…Julierose

8. Alison Schmidt says:

Fantastic! It was great seeing you play with similar shaped bits at our class last year at the church. I’m looking forward to seeing this quilt in person at Quiltcon!

9. congrats, it is gorgeous!!!!

10. This is your best yet! I love the juxtaposition of the diamonds and curves and the quilting beautifully enhances without detracting. Sorry that sounded so clinical-I just love it! It’s just fun.

11. I love the way this turned out, particularly what you did to fill in the in between spaces outside the curves. Lovely.
    diane

12. d r e w says:

awesome! i love how kinetic it is!