dreary on the outside ~ cozy on the inside

East Oakland

This is the view outside my studio window –of the container truck lot, on a dreary day in East Oakland. That’s okay ’cause it’s nice and cozy on the inside…

…thanks to the glowing warmth of this Modern Improv Wool Log Cabin quilt. I’ve been photographing it today with my new camera.

If you are a quilt maker you probably know that the red or orange square in the center of a traditional log cabin block represents the hearth or heart of the home.

The intense red, fuschia, and orange of re-purposed wool clothing of this improvised log cabin certainly does the trick. In combination with my nifty gas heater who needs a fireplace! Where ever you are, I hope you are staying cozy today… one way or another.

See this quilt in person at the QuiltCon quilt show in Austin, February 21-24.

This entry was posted in Modern Improv and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to dreary on the outside ~ cozy on the inside

1. Barb says:

I really like that quilt.

Love it esp. the use of brights and the plaids! They just make the quilt sing! It is 14 degrees and snowing in Ohio. We are suppose to get between 2 and 4 inches. A good weekend to stay inside and sew!

Love this piece. The bright colors and the plaid just make this quilt sing! It is 14 degrees and snowing in Ohio – a good day to stay inside and sew. Too bad I am at work!

4. sophie says:

You made me nostalgic for the live/work studio where I lived in East Oakland. Your quilt is fabulous!

5. Kim McPeake says:

I can not wait to meet you and see your quilt at QuiltCon. I will be in your Round Robin Improv class on Saturday. Starting to stress about whether or not I will have enough fabric choices.

Great – Looking forward to meeting you in class. I wouldn’t stress about choices. Anything you bring will work, but you can always grab some random scraps out of your stash to spice things up. People will also be adding their own fabrics to your quilt.

See you soon!

6. Out of all the fabulous quilts that you’ve made this is my absolute favourite! I’ve seen it before an I keep coming to it to admire it. If I could afford it I would buy it! I could use it right now as we are experiencing EXTREME cold in Montreal right now.
    Now I’m even more upset that I can’t come to Quiltcon!

7. Rossie says:

Beautiful! I look forward to seeing it (and you!) at Quilt Con!

8. LeeAnn says:

Wow! Fantastic quilt!

9. Cleta says:

I love this quilt Sherri,It’s so colorful and happy. Blessings,Cleta

10. cauchy09 says:

a lovely piece, as always. it’s a continual thrill to see what you come up with!

11. john wiercioch says:

Wonderful colors & slow, punctuated rhythms! Brightens me up on these coldest days of the year in the Blue Ridge mountains of VA!

BTW–You might enjoy George Kahn–Secrets from the Jazz Ghetto

12. Byrd says:

Beautiful! This is a really nice twist on the Log Cabin block. Did your inspiration come from that orange container? I’m trying to stay cozy in freezing Connecticut! Take care, Byrd

I’m sure it IS cold in Connecticut! I’m spoiled as to the weather living in San Francisco. Do stay warm.

No the orange container didn’t influence this quilt but I have thought of creating some kind of random quilt based on the container trucks in that lot each day.

13. WOW-fabulous!! Love, love the color, the energy, the whimsy!