a bomb went off in my studio cave

Suddenly I’m totally busy with my creative professional life. What happened? In March my work (and life) was at a standstill and now my studio looks like a bomb went off. Things are exploding – ideas, opportunities (and romance – wink wink).

I have four quilts on the wall, one on the frame, and a new score on the sketch pad (inspired by the Kaufman Kona Solid jelly rolls one of my students brought to the mod mood workshop I taught at OCMQG last month)!

I sold a big quilt, Red Wedge, at the beginning of July!

I’m exhibiting three quilts in a show called Throw: Great Lengths of Innovation in Modern Quilt Design,  at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Union Art Gallery, September 12 – October 21, 2012.

And I’ve been nominated for a Joan Mitchell Foundation Grant for painters and sculptors. Quite an honor – 150 artists are nominated to apply each year for this $25,000 grant. The foundation awards 25 grants. The odds may seem good, but the artists asked to apply are all very accomplished!

And I’m working on book proposal…

Well all of this is coming due in the next 6 weeks, so I’m swamped in my messy studio cave – but happy and thankful!

Post Script: Could it be that the I Ching Modern Quilt (and mindfulness meditation) is working its mojo???

This entry was posted in My Creative Process. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to a bomb went off in my studio cave

1. Pingback: Sherri Lynn Wood’s First Book | Quilting Queerly

2. mary says:

oh brilliance. the floodgates have opened. each piece is as connected and masterful as the next

3. A book? can’t wait to see what it’s about! Congratulations on all that’s coming your way.

4. Ching says:

Yayyy..
    Happy for all the new adventures! Love all the actions in the studio. So wish I can get a
    studio tour or be lucky enough be a intern…. Someday? Wink Wink.

5. diane says:

Wow Sherri, Things are hopping over there in the studio. What fun. I’m doing some sewing too. Inspired by a trip I took to Sisters, OR. The Stitching Post fabric shop is there and they put on a big quilt show every July. I just missed it. I bought a bunch of fabric though and am now happily sewings strips together and making pillows for my front porch rocking chairs. I’m leaving for Penland on Wednesday. I wish I was going to your workshop again…it was such a great thing for me.

xo diane

6. fantastic and a big woohoo! love to see all the exciting projects going on at once. looking forward already to that book!

7. Chris Moon says:

Oh, and I was feeling SO GUILTY for getting three quilts all going at once! You make me look like a piker!

(And the book will be so cool – sign me up for an advanced copy!)

Go get ’em girl!

8. Joyce says:

Yeah- I was really excited to see all the beautiful work in full swing in your studio. Makes me feel a little guilty knowing my mod mood quilt and I ching blocks are waiting on me to messy up my studio. I cleaned it for travel and have not worked on anything in a month now. Love seeing what you are working on!

9. d r e w says:

wow! so excited for you! keep it going. can’t wait to see what happens…

10. Lynda M O says:

Isn’t life weird that way? A few months can make the biggest changes in our lives, loves and skill sets. Keep it up, you’re doing so well, Sherri.

11. alison says:

beautiful!

12. John Wiercioch says:

So excited for you Sherri! Someone so deserving and giving!
    How wonderful the way Universe has a way of honoring sincere efforts in unexpected fashion! So inspiring!

13. Erin Wilson says:

Very happy for you… this might sound strange, but reading your post I had the feeling of the first rush of water that comes down a creek when the Spring ice jam finally melts enough.

You make pretty bombs, btw :)