Death Valley Defiance

On my third day in Death Valley I hiked the Golden Canyon/Gower Gulch Loop. I had already hiked for 3 hours and it was the hottest part of the day when I came to the base of a steep climb against a chalk-white canyon wall. I almost turned back, but something clicked.

Full of anger, sadness, shame and fear I started climbing that wall. I began at the beginning of the relationship and called up every memory from the big events to the most intimate details to the brutal ending… AND I kicked the ass of every last one of them! I was relentless, like the steep path in front of me that went on and on.  I cried. I climbed. I felt the bittersweet of each painful, fond memory and I let go, one by one, step by step. In my defiance, I felt great compassion for myself.

This was my reward. What a view. I felt strong and held at the top of that canyon.

Everything was silent. There was only the sun and the wind and the rocks.

I didn’t see any other people. I was alone with Death Valley.

The experience was cathartic.

When I got back to my campsite I was feeling very good. Over fifty teenagers had arrived while I was gone. They were preparing to leave on a three-week backpacking trip, in groups of ten, the next morning. There was a lot of buzzing youthful energy around the camp.

I grilled a small pork loin and my friend, who I had met on my first night in the desert (just as the full moon was rising), joined me for dinner. John brought some whiskey.

We drank hot toddies, talked about relationships, and watched the beautiful high school fireflies packing their sacks, brushing their teeth, writing in their journals, preparing for sleep.

This entry was posted in Personal Heritage and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Death Valley Defiance

1. blandina says:

What a place…and what a woman!

2. Barbara Pierce says:

Wow, Sherri, magnificent photos and a powerful narrative. You created a vividly shareable experience from a very intense and solitary catharsis–truly artful. By the way, I’m sorry to hear about the foolish fellow who done you wrong. You are beautiful and strong and will find your “terminal of comparable magnitude.” In the meantime, you are a bright star who glows brilliantly in the constellation of incarnation. Don’t settle for wankers–you deserve the best!

3. michele says:

go Sherri! you’re an inspiring compassionate woman. thank you for sharing your experience so openly, I really appreciate it.

4. Gwen says:

Wow. Your pictures are stunning, and your experience impressive. You are one strong woman! Good for you!
    Love….

5. Melinda says:

Beautiful photos & thanks for sharing your experience. I’m originally from So Cal and miss the dessert so much!

6. Paul Dudenhefer says:

Thanks for the post and the photographs, Sherri.

7. Arnel says:

What a beautiful way of purging the emotions out. The shaman in you came out of the self portrait. Wonderful Sherri!

8. Cleta says:

Wow,Magnificent pictures. You are a brave strong woman. Good for you.Blessing

9. deb says:

what a remarkable find – in yourself and the place.

10. alison says: