If You See Kay…

I’ve been asked to participate in The Give a F*ck Project by Cauchy09 of Completely Cauchy. In her words…

“this is a communal quilt project designed… in an effort to get more quilters/embroiderers/textilefolks to exercise their potty-mouths in textile form.”

I decided to accept Chawne’s challenge, and use it as an opportunity to tell the story of the first time I exercised my potty-mouth…

In 1971, I was seven years old. I came home from school one afternoon. My grandparents were visiting and sitting on the couch. My little brother was playing at the other end of the living room. I began taunting him with a saying I had heard at school that day.

If you see Kay… tell her hi!

I didn’t know what it meant, but I thought it must be something cool and clever. Maybe I had the sense that it was taboo in some way. All the other kids were repeating it behind the teachers’ backs.

F you see Kay… tell her hi!

F U see Kay… tell her hi!

F. U. C. K… tell her hi!

I was unrelenting with my taunt until my four year old brother started to cry. My grandparents overheard. My mother grabbed me by the collar and took me to another room. She made me repeat the nasty saying. My dad took me to the bathroom and scraped a bar of soap against my upper teeth. I wasn’t allowed to drink any water. I was sent to my room without dinner… I still didn’t understand what I had said but I knew it was bad.

The moral of this story… If you choose to exercise your potty-mouth there will be consequences. Good luck Chawne! And thanks for the opportunity to participate.

Dear readers, if you have a memory of the first time you exercised your potty-mouth, I would love to hear it!

This entry was posted in Personal Heritage, Stitching, The Modern Quilt and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to If You See Kay…

1. Jennifer says:

Hi Sherri- i just thought of when i first said bad words and it made me laugh….I was in the front yard on Windyrush probably around 7 years old and I got really mad at something and kicked the tree and said EVERY bad word I knew real fast, then realized mom heard every word! She was mad but wanted to know where I learned them, i dont remember what I said- maybe you? :) ha ha

2. LoriAngela says:

I saw your square on her blog. Love the story that goes with it!

3. I love that Cauchy09 is doing these quilts of hers & that you have joined in: adds a little edge to the quilting conversations… My favorite swear word story comes from a former student of mine, a very peaceful & gentle young man. At almost 3, he had not yet spoken a single word & his family was getting really worried. For his third birthday, his mother made him a very huge & fancy cake. On seeing it, his eyes grew huge & he said his first word: “g*d damn!”

4. JoAnne says:

I love the block and story! I frankly have never heard “if you see Kay” before. Maybe I lived under a rock? At any rate, I don’t remember my first time using that word, but I do know that my daughter (currently 24) was raised to think that when we referred to the “f word” it was f@rt, not the real bomb. I think she was in Middle School before she learned the difference.

5. Chu Brown says:

I can’t remember the first time I dropped the f-bomb, but I do remember the first time my son got in trouble at day care for it. He was almost 3 years old and it was time to clean up. The other kids weren’t cleaning up “the right way” and said “What the f*ck are you doing?!?” It took a while for him to understand that it was a bad word. I had to pretend that I didn’t know where he learned that word from but of course he learned it from me. FYI, he hasn’t said it since even though I’m still a potty mouth.

I don’t remember what my sister and I may have said, but I do remember that the consequences for having a potty mouth were to be banished to the bathroom. My mom’s disappointment in us, and the utter boredom of being sent to the bathroom was enough for us to keep it clean.

7. Sarah says:

OMG that is so funny! I was just thinking this exact thing yesterday. Not kidding! Just driving and aimlessly designing a quilt in my head…like ya’ do…and there it was… a giant FUCK quilt. And here today, I stumble upon your post! Wow. And someone’s made a whole project out of it. Amazing.
    Love your view, btw. It has changed a lot over the past 5-6 years with all the new buildings on that side of town.

8. Maggie says:

I don’t remember mine, but my younger son came home from kindergarten and told his brother to move his f*ckin butt. I tried to remain calm and explained to him that we did not use those words in our house, and certainly not in public. He seemed sorry and went back to playing and about 5 minutes later he told his brother “move yor f*ckin foot!” Evidently he thought the word BUTT was his transgresssion.

9. blandina says:

I can not translate, but I was the victim of a joke and I said a blasphemy. I was so mortified that I still feel my cheeks burning!

10. love this block!!!! so much story there – love it!

11. Chesley says:

A neighborhood kid told us(me and my twin, Alexa) to sing Yankee Doodle with “f’s” at the beginning of all the words. When we, probably aged 5, got to “stuck a feather…” the kid started yelling; “awww! You’re in trouble, you said a bad word!” We still didn’t know what we had said, so the frustrated kid said; “Go ask your mom what f*ck means!” We dutifully went and were given the mysterious answer from my mother that it was; “a nasty word for a nice thing.” That made things about as clear as mud. It’s so hard to be the littlest kids in the neighborhood, you get set up like that over and over again.

12. Joyce says:

Very funny Story- I never heard that saying as I remember but one day in the early 80s on the playground I asked my friends what the word Bitch meant- because that is what my older brother called my Mom that day. They all told me to be quite as we would get in trouble then one told me what it meant.

13. cauchy09 says:

hooray, thanks for the block! and i love your story.

my siblings and i tormented a couple of kids from the UK we met in a museum but muttering the word ‘bloody’ at them all day. we’d earlier seen them punished for saying the word. heh.