Improv Monday ~ Pausing to See

Welcome to Improv Monday! View the archive and please join the conversation!

After a bang of initial energy, the linen quilt on my wall has remained untouched for almost three weeks… but finally PROGRESS!

Many hours of pausing to look at this quilt were required before I could commit to sewing the pieces together. Pauses are a necessary part of seeing.

Sometimes I find it helpful to pause before falling automatically into the next step of the process. Pausing helps me see what is actually present before responding. Pausing allows the essence of… the created object, painting, quilt, sculpture… relationships to emerge. Do you have any experience or insights to share on the role of pausing in your work or life?

Even though this pattern is simple, what I can now SEE emerging are the patterns and colors of the flowing fog and landscape in the Sunset district of San Francisco. How fitting since the quilt is a commission for a couple who live in the Sunset. They helped me fine tune the pallet. I love that it subtly describes the natural environment where it will eventual live.

I overlaid the two sides of the top half of this quilt in photoshop just for fun. Very fog like don’t you think? View the process slideshow of this quilt in reverse progression.

BTW – This concept of pausing, comes from the I Ching. Stay tuned for my next modern quilt-along which will be exploring pattern making, and creative flow through random and synchronistic processes using the I Ching… coming soon!

This entry was posted in Color Palettes, Modern Improv, My Creative Process and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Improv Monday ~ Pausing to See

1. Nadia says:

Hi, Sherri. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really like your improv work and your posts about rules, limits, etc, are thought-provoking. Enjoyed reading them. Your class at Penland sounds like visiting paradise on earth! Lucky you! Your curvy pieces (for lack of a better word) are a wonder.
    best, nadia

2. Gwen says:

It’s shaping up beautifully. First I was concerned about the dark colors, but now the shafts of light are appearing. Joy!

3. Fabric Fascination says:

Re pausing, if I don’t know what to do I find that doing nothing often helps. Taking away the anxiety of trying to decide lets the right answer come through on quiet seas.

4. Isabelle says:

Love this quilt so in tune with all you describe of this particular district of San Francisco. I do make pauses too as I create a quilt. More and more so. It helps me seeing the quilt become alive as it grows, little by little. I have three such projects on my wall at the moment. They all take shape at their own rhythm. Lovely post, I look forward to learning more about the new quilt using the I Ching. Thanks a lot for all you share.

5. blandina says:

Pausing, yes, sometimes it is a necessity since the flow of inspiration dries out. I feel stuck, I do not know how to proceed.
    Pausing is mandatory then, sometimes I feel lost and start despairing that I will not be able to continue.
    I now know that I have to be patient, like one of those runners that crouch and collect all the enrgy they have in themselves for the final sprint. Suddenly, I do not know how it happens, everything is clear and I can resume my work.
    Pausing is part of creation.

6. Tam says:

It’s so beautiful! Love the rhythmic quality!

7. Chesley says:

The quilt looks wonderful! It is very SF landscape-like indeed.
    Pausing is a good skill to master, I feel pressure from those around me to not pause, but I try to listen to my own heart/mind and go slowly.

8. lia says:

The new quilt along sounds exciting – I’m in! I was considering doing the Mod Mood quilt, but it will even better to work at the same pace as others for motivation and inspiration. I think I’ll make a mini mod mood quilt in the meantime while I wait for the new quilt along to start. I love your work, and the emotion and thoughts behind it!