Improv-ing Not Blogging

Welcome to Improv Monday! View the archive and please join the conversation!

This week I’m caught up in actually doing impov instead of blogging about it. So enjoy the WIP pics! Click on the slide show to rotate the images faster.

Because this is a very simple linear pattern, I’m laying it all out on the wall before sewing. I’m paying close attention to negative space. It will be interesting to see how the pattern changes as the pieces are sewn together.

This is a commission for a king size bed quilt made from linen. I gathered the linen from several Bay Area fabric shops, mail order from the New York Fabric Center and of course Mary Jo’s in NC.

This entry was posted in Modern Improv and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Improv-ing Not Blogging

1. Cclark says:

My mom makes quilts and it’s wonderful to see this improv technique. I’m sure she’d love it. Makes me want to make one myself, so sophistcated and friendly! Bravo.

2. Pingback: Improv Monday ~ Pausing to See | daintytime ~ Sherri Lynn Wood

3. Sujata Shah says:

Loved seeing how this quilt evolved on the slide show and flickr! Thanks for sharing!

4. Nadia says:

Great improv, and it looks so fun to do!
    best, nadia

5. lola says:

it took me a while to see it shows the backward process of the quilt!!.
    Thank you for share it.
    Love those color value. Quite autumnal, isn’t it?
    I see what you mean about negative spaces and how to work on it. You “fill them” as you go. Sense it what it “needs” or “lack”. What a sensitive way of work improvisational is!!.

6. Isabelle says:

I admired the quilt on flickr already but it is so much fun and really interesting to see how you put it together ! Thanks for the vidéo.

7. Chesley says:

So beautiful! Great work!

8. blandina says:

I am always in awe when I witness the process of creation and you slide show is brilliant.
    It is going to be a visually interesting quilt, I already love it.

9. Alex Sand says:

I love seeing projects in process. I think this will look great when it is done.

10. cauchy09 says:

oh, wow. i love seeing this coming together. it will be quite lovely.

11. Liz says:

That was so great. Thanks for taking us on the trip. I like where you are going.

12. love it. I need to try working this way – laying it out first. I usually just dive into the sewing, get a bunch done and then try to work with it. The photo with the stool really helped to visualize the size of it better. I bet that quilt is going to feel lovely but ugh on the size if you’re going to hand-quilt the whole thing.

• This is not my typical way of working but on this score it made sense since I’m cutting large strips from selvage to selvage. It allows for more flow. The placement of course is changing as I begin to sew things together and commit.

13. niftyquilts says:

Fun slide show, great quilt!

14. Beth says:

The slide show is excellent. Love the colors and linear construction in the quilt — thanks for taking us along!

15. Carol G says:

Love the process slide show of this really great quilt. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Anybody Else?