Social Networks for Quilt Makers

Yes, I’ve caught the knitting bug! It started with socks but now I’ve graduated to sweaters. I’ve joined two local knitting groups and the online knitting community, Ravelry.

Someone on Ravelry recently asked if there was an equivalent online quilting community, where people can post and share notes on their stash, patterns, and completed projects,  find out about the latest fabric lines, join bees, quilt-alongs, block clubs, and other special interest groups.

I scanned the internet to see if such a thing existed, but nothing stood out. I did find this one for men, ManQuilters. Love it! But is there a primary social network for quilt makers that is more inclusive?

Of course there is the Modern Quilt Guild that seems to be organized quite well through social media. However the Modern Quilt Guild is organized in a multitude of local social networks which I think is fantastic – but different from an all encompassing social network like Ravelry.

Are quilt makers and quilt making too diverse to settle on one main social network?

If you participate in an online quilting community share the link and tell me about it. Why do you like it? What features of the community do you interact with the most? I’ll pass your info onto my knitting/quilting crossover friends on Ravelry.

This entry was posted in Blogging, The Modern Quilt. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Social Networks for Quilt Makers

1. Austin says:

Yes! There is a great online community: http://www.threadbias.com

Here you can share projects and ideas with other quilters, sewers etc from all around the world! There are different groups you can join and forums that you can discuss ideas in.

An amazing place to interact with other people and get ideas!

2. Hilda says:

About.com has a great quilting forum. There are swaps for fabric and blocks, round robins, retreats, etc. It’s a pretty great community of quilters, and lots of great sharing.

3. Allison says:

Hello! I am one of the co-founders of SeamedUP.com! Thanks for the mention:)

I REALLY wanted a ravelry for quilters. That’s where this came from.

Couple of points to make.

We are still very young. We have come a long way – AND we have huge plans for the future. (like crazy huge)

The quilting/sewing world is much different than knitting. Much more choice and let’s face it – it is a lot easier to sew two pieces of fabric together and keep going from there and voila – quilt without a pattern instead of knitting something fabulous without a pattern (but I suck at knitting so never mind me!) Which means that while SeamedUP has an existing database of over 2,000 patterns (and counting) – it’s a different beast than knitting. (We encourage you to add your own patterns with links to tutorials on your website if you have them!)

So why not *just* use flickr? Great Question.

The answer is that while ravelry was a huge inspiration – so was flickr. Imagine a place to see other people’s work and see what fabrics they used it in. OR conversely – let’s say YOU have a fabric and want to see how others have used it in their projects. SeamedUP already has that capability. We were born with it!

Maybe you DO like to use patterns – wouldn’t you like to see as many versions of it as possible? Instead of the 1 or 2 colorways offered there are endless possibilities.

Coming soon – you will be able to link your flickr photos directly into SeamedUP therefore eliminating the need to keep uploading your projects all over the web.

Jen – I would love to hear from you. Even if you can’t put your finger on what was missing – maybe we can hash it out. That’s the other thing – we are only as good as the members. If you want it to be more modern – add your modern projects!

I want it to be more modern (nothing wrong with traditional) but I am a young quilter with young kids and I am a Modern quilter myself so that’s just my slant.

We are constantly adding fabrics to the database. If you like fabric from Freespirit, (Denyse Schmidt), Moda, Westminster, Robert Kaufman, Riley Blake, Alexander Henry, Andover (I love their Cosmo cricket fabrics!) or the gorgeous new fabrics from Angry Chicken (Lecien) or I heart Linen – then you are in luck – because they are already loaded into the database and adding them to your STASH online is super simple.

Seriously – SeamedUP is very ground floor right now. And the ground floor is a lot more fun with friends because you get to play all the way to next level and beyond!

I will stop now. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread but I am really excited about SeamedUP and thought I would share that with you!

4. annelouise says:

i was just going to mention my sewing circle…

i agree with some of the other comments: i suppose knitting is like baking, in that you kind of need to follow the pattern / recipe, at least to a point. whereas sewing is more like general cooking: you can vary the method and the ingredients quite a bit and still create something useable…if that makes sense.

i LOVE ravelry, and visit it daily for inspiration. there’s a lot of junk on their, but it really is well organised, and there are some absolutely amazing projects and patterns available. but like others get sewing and quilting inspiration from blogs and flickr; quilting inspiration especially is a more visual thing, at least for me.

5. Trisha says:

I love Ravelry. It is a great database as well as social site too. I have often thought that a Ravelry for quilters would be pretty great. I don’t have any ideas other than Flickr and blogging.

6. drew says:

i mostly use flickr to share my quilting. but i just joined manquilters… thanks for the link!

7. Jen says:

SeamedUP was actually created in an effort to be Ravelry for quilters by a group of quilting podcasters. I checked it out and it feels like there is just something missing but it is very, very similar to Ravelry. Perhaps as more people join it will improve. The vibe also seems to be more traditional which just isn’t too my tastes. I’m so deeply into Flickr that I can’t imagine using another platform to catalogue my projects and participate in online communities — currently, Flickr meets all of my needs.

• shadystroll says:

I just joined SeamedUP — thanks for the tip! And thanks so much for posting this question, Sherri. I’ve often wondered about this and will be very interested in reading all of the responses.

8. cauchy09 says:

There is My Sewing Circle, which is a sewing version of Ravelry. I have an account there, but haven’t logged-in in a year. It seems that sewing doesn’t work the same way that knitting does. Quilters, in particular, are not tied to patterns nor particular name-branded materials. Though I could see the discussion forums being interesting.

• My thoughts too. The range of possibility is much broader than knitting it seems, so things can’t be tracked and cataloged so easily.

• shadystroll says:

I just joined this too — thanks for mentioning it! It looks like a pretty new site. It will be interesting to see if it takes off the way that Ravelry has.

9. michele says:

I’m only a now-and-again quilter but I see a lot of quilters using Flickr as a way to meet other quilters, do swaps, see other people’s work… Have a great day!

Anybody Else?