Modern Improv Wool Log Cabin, 2011

Modern Improv Wool Log Cabin

Modern Improv Wool Log Cabin, 2011, 90″ x 84″, machine pieced, hand quilted.  This quilt is an improvisational riff off the log cabin pattern and the bracket [ ] symbols.

Made entirely from vintage Pendleton plaid wool shirts, suits, skirts, and pants, the warmth of the re-purposed wool clothing is sprinkled with the traditional red/orange brights of the log cabin hearth. The wool is super soft and the quilt is warm. 100% linen back and binding.

The color of the wools are so rich, warmly luminous, and saturated that I was unable to take a decent photo. The bright oranges, reds, and pinks blow the camera meters. This is a quilt you have to see with the human eye to truly appreciate.

This quilt took 65 hours and 20 years of experience to complete.  View the creative process archive to see how this quilt evolved.

Wool [ ] Quilt, detail

Wool [ ] Quilt - detail

Inspiration Monday ~ [ ]

Footnote: This quilt won first place in the Hand Quilting Large Quilt category at QuiltCon 2013 in Austin!

This entry was posted in 2011 Quilts, The Modern Quilt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Modern Improv Wool Log Cabin, 2011

1. Pingback: Earth Day: nothing new to quilters | Inside Quilters Newsletter

2. anna says:

beautiful work, Sherri. I am working on a quilt of my own inspired in part by this one and the sketching-from-life inspired quilt patterns you’ve been sharing on your blog in the past few weeks. I am making a wool plaid patchwork pasture with a river running through it, after a sketch i drew from the plane window on my way to visit relatives in Alberta. i finished the top last week and have begun quilting it now; my first effort at hand quilting! I was motivated to quilt it by hand by the detail snap a few weeks ago you posted of this [] quilt in progress – it stopped me in my tracks! Your hand quilting completely “makes it” for me.. truly lovely. Personally, I hope i don’t give myself carpal tunnel working on this quilt… you must have strong fingers, lady!
    thanks again for the inspiration… your work makes my imagination sparkle and fizz!

3. shannon says:

absolutely gorgeous. really. i just keep staring at it. in fact, i hope you don’t mind, but i pinned it on pinterest http://pinterest.com/pin/4946720/ (let me know if you’d like me to take it down). i just looooove your work. it’s more than beautiful, you can just feel it. love the handquilting. (am working on some sashiko stuff myself right now) thanks so much for sharing your work and inspiration with us.

It turned out beautifully (of course!). I really love your quilting — it compliments, and has interest without getting too fussy. Between the wool, the simple shapes and the leaf like quilting motif it hints (to me at least) at the Welsh quilt tradition but is still completely you.

5. Patryce says:

This is the most beautiful quilt i have seen in quite some time. I wondered how it would come out as I check your blog pretty often. It is really nice and I imagine the wool gives it a heft it wouldn’t have otherwise…the perfect quilt for san francisco! Really nice.
    Also just want to say that I really appreciate your blog for giving a real art side to quilt making…

6. Nancy L says:

heaven.. just heaven…love this…

I just realized you hand quilted this! Oh my golly gosh. Do you use a frame? I think I have machine quilted my last large quilt – too hard on my back and shoulders. I’d love to know more about how you quilted this.
    This is a truly fantastic quilt!

• Sherri Lynn Wood says:

I use one of those Snap Q PVC frames. They work great and are easily portable. I use #8 pearl cotton and sharp embroidery needles to hand quilt with, so my stitches are bigger – more like sashiko but not quite as precise.

8. looks awesome! i love that quilting motif and THANK GOD you priced it the way you did. if no one buys it, keep it for yourself!

• Sherri Lynn Wood says:

Thanks! Yes, it wouldn’t be so bad if this ended up a keeper. I’m really in love with wool right now. It’s so soft, luminous and rich!

9. suswhit says:

Whooaaaa. ::kerplunk:: (that’s me sliding off my chair and landing on the floor)