Shock Waves

Sunday I rode the bus to Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands. I had to ride the bus because my car was slashed and burned on Saturday night. I was riding my bike home around midnight and I saw a police car parked in the middle of my street. As soon as I passed the cops I saw my Volvo. All the windows were shattered, the tires were slashed and the interior was completely torched, drenched, and melted to the bone. Someone had set my car on fire. The fire truck had just left. My car looked like a bombed out shell. It was parked two houses away from my front door. I’m new to the neighborhood and now I don’t feel safe.

On Sunday all I could do is lay curled up on the beach watching the waves crash over and over and over. Loosing my car, and the extreme, senseless violence of it all is overwhelming.

I’d had my Volvo for a while. It was an old car and not worth much by blue book standards, but I never once had to make an unexpected repair. It was a great, reliable, well maintained car with plenty of life left. It’s unlikely that I’ll receive enough insurance money to buy an adequate replacement, without incurring a monthly car payment. My finances as an artist are so tight, and San Francisco is so expensive, it could mean that I’ll have to choose between replacing the car, keeping my studio, or leaving the city altogether.

I’m still in shock as I try to understand how this is impacting my life. All I can do right now is be patient, and let the consequences unfold.

This entry was posted in Personal Heritage and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Shock Waves

1. Maven says:

Did the police ever find out who did this to you?

2. Ann Shankar says:

I have a Volvo wagon that has been a faithful helper for many years. I can’t imagine anyone would do that to your car! It is such a loss. I thought SF was a flower power city. Come back to NC.

3. Emily says:

Oh Sherri Lynn,I read your thoughts and inspirations whenever there’s something new. my loving thoughts come from Aotearoa to your saddened heart to warm and strengthen it.

4. Sherri Lynn Wood says:

Thanks for all of the empathy. It really is amazing to receive these messages of care and confirmation from so many of you, possibly near or far, who I only know through the internet.

That’s an awful thing to have happen. I am so sorry. Senseless is an understatement.

How awful. Very senseless and hurtful. Hugs to you from way up north.

7. caron says:

I am so sorry to read this. It’s too easy to take safety for granted, and too easily underestimated how much impact it’s loss will have on our lives.

8. Gwen Putnam says:

Oh, dear. We’re thinking about you with love and will have more to say soon. Corraggio…

9. Staci says:

What a horrible, senseless act! My heart truly goes out to you.

10. Dawn says:

so sorry to hear about your car…sending positive thoughts your way

11. ugh. that is awful and unfair. i’m very sorry!

12. Maggie says:

that is really crap, so sorry.

13. Lynda M O says:

Whoo boy, that is the worst news ever. I am so sorry that that happened to you and that has shattered the feeling of safety you were tending in SF. I live in the East Bay and have had my cars broken into and much stolen but never been torched-I can only imagine the feelings and I wish there was a way I could hug you and help you. Email if you like, I may have housing options.