Mod Mood Quilt Along

Ever since my fascination with mood rings when I was a kid in the 70’s, I’ve been drawn to the symbolic, cultural, and emotional aspects of color. When I came across this mood-color chart (replicated above in hand-dyed fabrics) a light bulb went off…

I don’t know about you but I can be moody. So I decided to document my emotions this summer in a quilt. Once a week when I’m in the studio, I will take the time to check in on how I’m feeling. Using my personal mood-color chart as a starting point, I will choose the colors that correspond with my current mood on that day to make a section of the quilt. Eventually all of the sections will be put together in a single Modern Mood Quilt.

You are invited to craft-along with me and make your own Modern Mood Quilt. In the weeks that follow I’ll take you step-by-step through my process.

It’s never too late to join the quilt-along. If you have a blog grab the Modern Mood Quilt button for quick reference to the archive. Let me know and I’ll add you to my mod-mood blogroll. Join the Modern Mood Quilt Flickr pool to share your process and follow the work of others.

This entry was posted in Mod Mood Quilt, Quilt Alongs and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Mod Mood Quilt Along

1. Layne says:

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Many thanks for providing these details.

2. elaine quinn says:

I am very pleased that you generously share so much with us. Your artistry is so beautiful to view. I am putting together my first pieced curves using varied size wedges and find that I end up with gentle curves no matter what shaped wedges or whether they are joined large end to large end. I also have curves that are completely ragged, not the smooth curved edges your pics indicate. You do not mention cutting the curved pieces to control the edges and control the curve motion and width. Have I missed something? Also, I do not comprehend the pic where you add a yellow piece to a blue group and indicate where to stitch first and where to stitch second. I greatly appreciate your guidance Elaine Quinn, Cape Coral, Florida

Hi Elaine, To make sharper curves then make your wedge strips narrower at the bottom and wider at the top – increase the difference between the two.
      Also did you view this post? Quilt-along FAQ: 5 Tips to Piecing Gentler Curves

I usually sew the wide edges even and trim off the bottom edges. If you start with all your wedge strips approximately the same length then they shouldn’t be too ragged. You can trim your curves in any manner. Trim them up to make them smoother.

Would you comment about the yellow/blue pic on that page so that I can respond while referring to the actual image? It will be more helpful for you and others.

Thanks.

3. Marika says:

I’m long been a secret follower since I found your blog, I love the freedom of the techniques are not many rules but the emotion set a limit and this is across the big decision I started to prepare my mood. Thank a lot of good advice ait published. Loving embrace having pleasures and Guidelines for Modern Quilt wonderful direction. Marika

4. Stephanie says:

Sorry! About how much of each is reasonable? 1/2 to 1 yd

5. Stephanie says:

Where can I buy the fabrics to do the mood quilt? Will a jelly work for this pattern?

• No I don’t think a jelly roll works very well for this process. My fabrics are hand-dyed but you can use any solids, or even prints if you like, in your stash. If you don’t have a full spectrum of colors in your stash already, evaluate and begin purchasing the colors you lack at your favorite local quilt shop or fabric store. You could also ask your friends to contribute to your rainbow.

6. Pingback: fiber « Sarvivox's Blog

7. Pingback: w = wild waves « dutch comfort

8. chris ereditario says:

Looking at this color wheel and I see what you mean. I went into my stash, I do know where and when most of it was purchased, meaning that the color/colors of the fabrics I remember were exactly what time of my life and the mood I was in during that time period. :-) Now to look at the finished quilts and put it all together. Thank you, it’s very interesting using the color wheel in this manner…

9. Pingback: One Step Closer to UnRuly | Granny's Quilting Fun

10. Pingback: February is here and modern’s on my side « dutch comfort

11. Pingback: Improvisation II – Stimmungsquilt « Suschna

12. Pingback: 100 Days – Week of Color – Tutorial Round Up « The Modern Quilt Guild

13. Pingback: Mod Mood Mother’s Day « Hemm Handmade

14. Pingback: Endless possibilities | East Bay Modern Quilt Guild

15. Pingback: Vanz » DaintyTime Quilts

16. Pingback: Inspiration – Paris | East Bay Modern Quilt Guild

17. Pingback: Fabulous Quilting pics – Modern Mood Quilt

18. Pingback: » Improvisation as*q

19. Sandy says:

Just found your blog and I am loving it! I needed something to get me going again (quilting that is) and I think I found it. I remember the mood ring from the 70’s, I don’t think I ever took it off. lol
    I so want to try my hand at this quilt, but, have to finish a couple others before I jump into yet another quilt.
    Thanks for sharing, and, I look forward to watching your progress.

20. Melissa says:

What a fantastic idea! I’ll be following – and maybe creating as well

21. It’s interesting to me how the colours are labelled. I don’t find that very accuarate in terms of how I personally think of the colours.

For example, they have red pegged as “agressive”. I don’t see that at all. I love red. I’m an Aries and it’s my colour. I love it’s power and boldness and the confidence it represents. Red is life-giving: think blood, fire, love. Red is a statement, it’s passion. No shrinking violette is ever going to be found wearing red. Agressive to me connotates mean, rude, careless and I don’t think red is any of those things.

And Purple is unhappy? Purple is the colour of spirituality, of introspection, of royalty.

I guess I just see colour in a different way. Colour to me is an uplifting thing. (IMHO) Food for thought!

• Sherri Lynn Wood says:

You’re exactly right Lelainia, color is completely subjective, and we all experience it differently. My diagram is based on a mood color chart I found on the internet. It’s purpose is to get people thinking about their relationships to color and feelings. I encourage everyone who participates to create their individual color-mood chart base on their personal responses to color. This is in fact step one of the craft-along. I hope you will join us and post your mood-color chart to theFlickr pool.

22. Karin says:

Hi Sherri, just noticed that i can communicate this way too. I am so happy you gave the impulse for this great project. For the ongoing time i´d like to apologize for my English. I hope you are able to get the main idea of what i am talking about :) For me it is the right time for a mood quilt – let´s go for it! Liebe Grüße – Karin

23. jodi meenan says:

It does sound very interesting and like it could be a new endeavor in my life. I have never been very creative, always have to have something to look at and copy, but I’d like to explore some new things. I also have a very limited fabric stash as I just started quilting about five months ago. Maybe this will help me to make some discoveries! Thanks, Sherri!

24. Sherri Lynn Wood says:

Thanks for following Janet. The great thing about a blog craft-along is that it will be available to you whenever you have the time and interest to pursue it.

25. Janet says:

Great idea! I’d love to do this but reality sets in and I just have too many projects already on the go. I am going to become a follower though and see how you are progressing.

26. Amy says:

Great idea! I’ll be watching on flickr.

27. Sujata Shah says:

What a great idea. An interesting way to document the story of our lives. I am in. I don’t know how productive I will be but love the idea and want to play along!

28. Sherri Lynn Wood says:

Janette, What a great start. It sounds like you are already discovering something important about the way you create. I hope you will craft along with me this summer.

29. Janette says:

What a wonderful idea. I took a trip to my fabric room and found a predominance of green and pale colours. I think this is partly down to my lack of confidece in combining bold colours.

I must admit, yellows, oranges and acid colours make me feel stressed dealing with them.